I hope you’re all doing well and missing Ghana as much as I am… it feels like an age ago already!
It’s for times like now that I wish I’d kept a diary. Those good intentions soon went out the window once we got stuck in and busy, but there are definitely some amazing memories which will always stay with me. Most of all, I remember meeting so many passionate individuals who got stuck in every day and made my job one of the best around.
This doesn’t even begin to capture all of my highlights, but here are just a few:
* “that is not GLA approved”
* “you’re crying as you’re filming it happen”
* Richard the goat
* Star-gazing during mentor groups and capturing those elusive shooting stars
* Dance-offs and the total take-down of (I mean friendly competition against) Children of Africa
* Shaking your bum-bum
* Epic volleyball competitions…as long as I was on the sidelines
* “Psychologically, emotionally, emphatically”….you guys remember the rest!
* The World Cup complete with vuvuzelas and face paint
* “What makes the grass grow? Blood, Blood, Blood”
* Massage circles
* The most epic Capture the Flag game in history. Fact.
* Brett’s extraordinary and rather premature death
* The Ghahaca and Kesha face paint at the football tournament
* BOB! ….and Bobby and the Shelbs
* Afika beach ale? (Ewe for ‘which way to the beach?’)
* “Every body sing Hallelujah!”
* Completing six toilets which will offer over a 100 people access to improved sanitation facilities.
Thank you once again for such an incredible summer. Not sure how anything else is quite going to top it!
Much love and plenty of clicking handshakes,
Charlotte, International Director
Don’t just relive your summer abroad. Experience GLA in a whole new way next summer, in a country you’ve never been to before. Then check out Local Director Dougal’s letter below.
To my dearest friends from the Building Healthy Villages programme,
I hope you are all doing well and your muscles are still bulging from all that building work you did with us! It has been so quiet at Meet Me There since you guys left us, the energy and the buzz you all brought was truly awesome and greatly missed!
I’m sure you will all be extremely happy to hear that all the toilets you helped us build are all being used very well. Baloteli and Jasper are currently even building two more toilets but definitely not at the rapid speed it took with you guys assisting us!
Getting to know you all on a personal level and seeing what incredibly intelligent, passionate, caring individuals was definitely the highlight for me personally! I know you will all go so far in life making such a positive impact on the world we live in. Seeing you grow and settle in to our community and way of life so well was also very cool!
I am so please that some of you have already started helping us with fund raising ideas and spreading the word of our work! This is the whole idea and vision for Dream Big Ghana, you are not just guests that come and go but you are family who will be for ever welcome to stay at our home and be part of our work!
Any way, I hope school is going well and you are enjoying life hopefully with a bit of a new perspective on things! ! Remember to stay up to date on our work and progress through our facebook page! I wish you all the best for the rest of the year and hope to see you all soon! Meet Me There is always here for you!
Big love and stay strong!
Don’t forget to experience it all as if it was the first time with a new GLA summer adventure! Then check out Tigo’s favorite memories and relive the experience all over again.
- Lying on the beach watching the magical shooting stars
- Tricking everyone nearly every meal time on what was being served! You are all far too gullible!
- Watching the Ghana vs Germany game and getting far too excited with some very creative face paint on! Franks was definitely the best!
- Seeing you all looking so cool in your African finest on the last night!
- Seeing friendships blossom between you and our incredible staff!
- Watching everyone getting soaked when carrying water on their heads!
- Charlotte’s malicious head butting challenge on me in the football tournament.
- Seeing you all grow in so many ways as the trip went on.
- The dance off and John shaking his up his bum bum!