As summer comes to an end there is still time to go on one more adventure to see the world. Here’s a list of places to backpack in the upcoming weeks, some of them require traveling abroad while others are right in your own backyard. Whether you’re able to hike one of them or more, add the rest to your list! So grab a friend and your gear and get out there.
- Costa Rica. There are too many places in Costa Rica to just pin point one. But when there, check out Corcovado National Park with their amazing waterfalls, or better yet hike down one of their many volcanoes. The park is popular with several teen volunteer programs in Costa Rica due to its environmental preservation and world-renowned beauty.
- If backpacking around the world is something on the bucket list then take a trip to Peru. Hike the classic Gringo Trail or explore the jungle and see the wild life in the Amazon Basin. Be sure to check out the famous tourist site Machu Picchu, an Incan city. While it is not a place to back pack, it is still a sight to see!
- Speaking of popular trails, walk the El Camino de Santiago. This trail goes from France to Spain and is fairly easy to backpack. Most of the trail is flat and there is always the option to buy a meal every so many miles.
- If backpacking in your own backyard sounds like something that can be done within the next few weeks then head to Mt. Whitney in California. It is the tallest mountain in the world within the lower 48 states and is commonly climbed in the Sierra Nevada. Just think of the view when you reach the top!
- Once you get done backpacking Mt. Whitney, drive a little ways and backpack around Yosemite National Park! There are multiple trails to choose from, great places to star gaze at night, and even the option to river raft.
- Another trail that has waterfalls and lots of greenery is the Kalalau Trail in Hawaii. While it’s a short trail to back pack, the views make it worth it. Not to mention that the trail ends on the beach; what a great way to relax and catch those rays.
Contributed by Samantha Watkins