Letter to You from Director Ryan Feinstein
Wow! Can you believe it has already been three months since we were all together in Bali? I feel like it was just yesterday that I was eagerly awaiting your arrivals at the airport, whether at midnight or mid-morning, to see your jetlagged faces ready to embark on an adventure of a lifetime J
Recently I have been back to Lovina to visit our friends from the summer. We reminisced about all the fun we had with Domingo, Anik and the singing boys at the beach. Saw the dorm staff and they say its already lonely and feeling vacant without you there. And of course I visited the schools that you made such an impact on. The children were so excited to see me because they thought I had brought all of you back! Unfortunately not, but I can tell from talking to the teachers that they have a new enthusiasm for learning that directly stems from your incredible teaching JJ
I hope that you have had an amazing start to your new school year. I have no doubt that you have stayed true to your commitments that you left with at the end of the program and that you have a new understanding of your role in the world. Keep traveling and keep taking risks, I know that each of you is going to make such a difference in the world!
Miss you all and stay in touch!
Ryan and the rest of GLA Bali
After chatting with Julian and Jackie, we came up with some of the most memorable moments of the summer:
June 15 – July 5, 2015
- DJ got those awesome drawings from one of the boys at school
- That time we took pictures underwater on the sunset boat ride and it took approximately 15 tries
- Sawyer was always the killer in Mafia, but we could never tell!
- Pizza on the beach on the 4th of July at sunset
- The sickness bug that almost got all of you and we would have been out of teachers!
- The crazy competitive trivia games with DJ and Taylor
- Declan’s dinner theatre game that turned into so much more
- Taylor’s brain!
- Drinking chocolate drinks after our last day of teaching!
July 9 – July 29, 2015
- Crazy photo sessions at the beach, temples, school, basically everywhere!
- Indoor soccer turning into one unbelievable injury frenzy!
- Making penjors and doing difficult yoga with Ketut
- Slip-n-slide says it all… and the resulting weird movie preview thingie…
- Last day of teaching and all the singing, photo taking, and gift giving with the children.
- Julian’s face… resulting from a permanent marker war
- Night tag in Amed and the unbelievable hiding spot of Raphis
- Julian’s face… and shaving cream
- Karaoke! And the whip!