Going abroad sometime soon? Good for you! It’s a very exciting time, especially in the weeks before you embark on your journey. You’re nervous, excited, scared, and maybe even having second thoughts. But trust me, that’s just cold feet, and it’s completely normal.
You are leaving the country, and with that, you’re jumping out of your comfort zone. Don’t let your nerves get in the way — you’re going to have an amazing time, and there’s a good chance this trip may even change your life! So let loose, have fun, and make sure you follow the tried and true pre-trip checklist!
- Make sure your passport is valid through the end of your trip
- Make copies of your passport, driver’s license, and any other identification
- Obtain travelers insurance if necessary
- Make sure all paperwork and documents are signed and processed with your travel abroad program
- If you’re taking classes abroad, make sure you’re enrolled and ready to start
- Provide your parents and/or guardians with the name, address, and phone number of where you’ll be residing during your trip
- Do not, and I mean DO NOT over-pack
- Research the climate of your destination so you can be sure to bring appropriate clothes
- Be 100% sure of what you are, and are not allowed to bring into the country (every country has different regulations)
- Pack for comfort, not for style
- Leave plenty of room in your luggage to bring home souvenirs, etc.
- Get all required medical checkups, vaccinations, etc. before leaving the U.S.
- Buy a journal so you can document your travel experiences
- Purchase an international data plan for your cell phone
- Schedule weekly calls or online chats with your friends and family back home – but don’t forget the time difference.
This checklist will help you out a lot, and as long as you’re prepare for your trip and all the amazing experiences you’re about to have, you’re good to go!
Contributed by Ashley Welter