Hey Peru Service in the Sacred Valley 3-week crew:
Holy wow! What a whirl-wind summer it was! I just returned to Costa Rica after visiting the jungles of Peru, the salt deserts of Bolivia, the alto plano of Chile, my family and friends across the U.S and Baja California, Mexico. My bags are unpacked and this gypsy adventurer is glad to have a place to call home until next summer!
I hope this letter finds you well and loving life! Have you all checked out the blog we wrote or looked at the pictures I posted on the Peru Facebook page or taken 5 minutes out of your busy school schedule to look at all the pictures you took? I am sure you are up to your eyeballs in school, social, club activities now that you are home, but I encourage you all to think back to what we did this summer – what you experienced and learned, how you were impacted and inspired, and how that shifted something in you -permanently.
My hope for each and every one of you is that you put in the same hard work, care, dedication and passion into your relationships, families, schools, teams, churches, groups, clubs and to the strangers you have yet to meet, as you did in Yuncaypata and the community of Peru. I was blown away (as I told you many times during our program) by how invested you were and what we accomplished in the end. Please continue to volunteer as the LOD, to run the show, and be in inspired to transform: yourself, your community and your world!
Much love and pura vida!
Don’t just relive your summer abroad. Experience GLA in a whole new way next summer, in a country you’ve never been to before. Then check out Jen’s highlights from the program below.
PS: here are some of the highlights…. In no particular order and know there are so many more:
1) Maria refusing to get on the horse and hiking that damn mountain! Eso!
2) Lisa, ‘I feel like I’m living in a default desktop wallpaper!’
3) The village of Yuncaypata – Frederico, his family, the kids and the church inviting us to their celebration
4) Hiking down the mountain with Maddie on horseback
5) Our visits to the orphanage
6) Jump roping in Wanchaq park
7) Our last night dinner, including the photo contest award! Haha! Good laughs from both groups!
8) My awesome team of Silvia, Serita and Miguel… so grateful for them!
9) The 2nd 3-week group going back to Yuncaypata on their last day in Peru to finish the roof!!!
And playing the game of Tetris, with bricks and mud! 🙂