PTP Squad 2017!
It’s been awhile, huh? I’m sure time has flown by, just like it did when we were all together in Bahia Ballena. Whether we were planting trees, learning how to surf, checking out monkeys, or simply chilling in the pool – the time passed super fast, and that’s the reason for this time capsule letter! Although it may seem like ages ago, the time we shared together and impacts we made are definitely worth taking a minute to remember.
You guys made an incredible imprint on the community and environment during your time in the PTP program. The trees you planted are being maintained and growing into healthy adult plants. The tedious time spent creating and painting tree protectors are doing their job well and can be reused to help us continue the reforestation project more efficiently. The school in Bahia Ballena is looking great and the students are loving the new paint jobs and the garden that you helped start to make, as students in other programs have continued your progress! Let’s also not forget all the knowledge you gained on the trip! The hours spent picking up microplastics have served you to refuse and reduce your own plastic consumption and now you’re aware of how so many little actions can affect the ocean.
When you guys think back on our trip together, there’s probably a ton of fun (and hilarious) moments that come to mind first. We saw monkeys, coati, crocodiles, exotic birds, and even a sloth! We learned how to dance and sing karaoke together. We played endless games of BS, Assassin, UNO, and random Beach Ball Pool Games together. We jumped off rocks into rivers next to waterfalls. We cooked a traditional meal, went out for pizza, and drank way too much coffee. Best of all, we shared music, games, and tons of great stories. The mentors – Hannah, Desiree, and Jack loved being able to share these experiences with you guys. Thanks for all the hard work you did while you were here and thanks for making it so fun and memorable!
Some special moments from our trip:
- Having the most diverse karaoke session ever – from “Goosebumps” to “Baby” to “Big Green Tractor”
- When it poured rain the second to last day at home base and you guys used it as a bathing opportunity
- Seeing the crocodile devour a pelican at Corcovado National Park
- Seeing a school of dolphins play just feet away from our boat
- Listening to funny and enlightening stories being told during ‘Story of Self”
- Painting the school…..and eachother
- When Anna the dance teacher and Wayner put on a show as we learned traditional dances
- Calling everything “dank”
- Canelo overcoming his fears and chasing the cat away
Jack and the PTP Costa Rica Team