Hey Session 2 Spanish Service Adventure 2018! I hope that you all had a wonderful August and have kept in mind those take-aways that we talked about during the final reflection of the program! Looking back I hope you remember both the fun and challenging times, from the stress free beach day to exhilarating extreme forest park, the physically demanding waterfall hike to the mentally-demanding rafting adventure.
I hope that each of these moments brought learning to you as well as the laughter and friendships made. Maybe it doesn´t feel so long either since those technical and teamwork skills learned during the bio-garden service project (anyone miss hauling those rocks around?), mastering the art of cement volcanoes while expanding the floor of the basketball court / amphitheatre and making and spreading the bokashi fertilizer onto the coffee plants that will produce that same great organic coffee that some of you may still be drinking!
I also hope that some of you have kept practicing your Spanish! Our time shared with the Young Dreamers and the families that ´´adopted´´ us gringos were definitely highlights for me. Juan´s amazing panqueques, gallo pinto, frijoles y arroz and the traditional meals including platano and guacamole at the trapiche kept us going through those afternoon discussions, not to mention the cafecito in between them! Finishing off those evenings with Mentor Groups to keep us reflecting on the experience and increasingly animated card games was also good to see. Que chiva!
Please keep learning, thinking critically and exploring different cultures! I hope that the experience in Providencia stays with you, but also that there may be many more to come :). Pura vida amigos!
Some special moments from our trip:
– Learning to dance like latinos in both classes with each other and the Young Dreamers
– Those thrilling rides in the back of Jonathan´s SUPER DUTY
– Swimming and jumping into the freezing water at El Poceron
– Being followed by monkeys during our walk in Manuel Antonio
– Playing cards and other interesting games with Jonny and Gustavo
– learning to cook traditional meals for over 20 people with Chef Juan
– Playing games and soccer / slip n´ slide on that rainy day at the plaza
-Nicolas Couto, International Director