Our first group this summer was comprised of 17 wonderful women from throughout the United States. Although they were all from the same country, they were diverse in their personalities, offering their passion, enthusiasm and wide range of expertise to the GLA program. They definitely set the bar high!
They met every experience of the program head on with great energy. Their flexibility with respect to the Ghanian way of life was key to the success of their program. When the rain poured down during Batik making, they danced in it; when the programs started late, they found various ways of passing time; when the bricks collapsed, they started again; when teachers were not in their classes, they took full control ……. you get the picture! Their individual positive attitude was infectious for the collective vibe.
Down time you ask??
There really wasn’t any as all the students LOVED to fill in the curricular gaps with games and engaging conversation.
Recollections of the first program which put a smile on my face:
- Sadie arriving later than the rest of the crew due to a flight mishap, jumping right in without missing a beat
- Ginna meditating at Umbrella Rock, while Rachel and Nicki hung off the cliff
- Hayley and Isabelle enjoying entertaining the nursery students with GIANT bubbles
- Victoria, Izzy and Frances gracefully trying to balance the Gerry can on their heads during the hawking lesson
- Alli rockin’ it making bricks in her pink floral skirt
- Liz and Mckenzie refereeing the local soccer competition
- Ella sprinting around the outside of the circle in pursuit of one of the local children while playing ‘duck, duck, goose’
- Sophie outrunning every ‘bro’ on the field when playing a friendly game of soccer
- Tatum always having a child in her arms or on her back while playing in the park
- Quillan, Jessica and others getting a full on soaker during a Ghanian downpour – smiles from ear to ear!
Feeling nostalgic? You can experience that same sense of friendship and adventure abroad again! Check out all our new destinations for Summer 2018, or enroll now.