As the summer quickly approaches, you may be wondering “Who is going to be my guide to these life-changing experiences?”. This is where Global Leadership Adventure’s (GLA’s) International Program Directors come into the picture.
A GLA Director is a globally-minded individual that is the catalyst of change for our programs. A strict set of criteria is used to hire these Directors that, according to Terra Education CEO Andrew Motiwalla, “allow them to inspire, connect and empathize with the students”.
We look for in-country Directors that:
• Possess extensive experience working with students- especially facilitating leadership training activities
• Have the proper Health & Safety certifications- such as Wilderness First Responder
• Lived and worked in several developing countries – many being returned Peace Corps Volunteers
• Are fluent in the local language – Se Habla Español for our Latin America programs
• Pass an extensive background check that confirms their suitability to work with GLA students
Each Director carries this unique blend of practical safety, leadership and organizational skills which guarantees that all of our programs create the signature GLA service-learning experience for students.
More importantly, this strict set of criteria ensures that the influence of our Directors on the students lasts long beyond the summer spent in-country.
To see more information on our current cohort of directors, please visit our Expert Staff Page.
Photo: Esther Simba, “Mama Simba”, Tanzania Director